[Kamailio-Users] Using Asterisk as media server

Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana rabs at dimension-virtual.com
Tue Mar 17 09:15:21 CET 2009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 03:23:36 Juan Perez wrote:
> Alex, I understand your point and appreciate your input highly, but let's
> say that asterisk is needed as the media server for other reasons. It may
> not scale as well as the other solutions but we need them to be there to
> provide other services. I just wanted to know whether there was any
> difference aside from the scalabilty issue.
>
> We were under the impression that it was imperative to use either
> media-proxy or rtp-proxy but after examining in more detail how the 2
> solutions work we find no reason not to use asterisk as the media proxy as
> well. Unless of course we are missing the big picture here and surely will
> find out once we set out to test it. But given the deep knowledge of a lot
> of people in this forum we deemed necessary to ask about the feasibility of
> this workaround. If somebody detects any flaw on this solution or if there
> is someting else critical or not that we are missing we would love to hear
> it .
>
> thank you in advance and thank you Alex again,
> jp

Hi Juan, As an advice to you, use Asterisk ONLY to link to the PSTN if you
have to, no more.
Vmail, conference, call parking and all the fancy Class 5 services could be
done just with Kamailio+RTProxy/MediaProxy+Sems/any other b2bua
Using Asterisk for the Class 5 services not only doen's scale you will find
also other problems as "spiral calls, call forward with more than one jump,
CDR problems, codec negotiation problems, no fax support, etc.".
Asterisk it's a very buggy b2bua, not to mention that it's a PBX that do
things "it's own way", it what not dessign with Carrier Class services in
mind and more sooner than later you will end crashing with a wall of thing
you could not do.

Best regards

--
Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana