[Serusers] SIP Priority, Call priority

Nils Ohlmeier lists at ohlmeier.org
Tue Jun 9 16:25:17 CEST 2009

Hi Paolo,

> Hello,
> i'm new in this SER world, but i'm using OpenIMSCore, based on SER.
>
> i'm wondering if SER can handle some kind of prioritization, to serve some
> special SIP messages before others.
>
> I'm thinking about a Commandant who wants to have a high priority call,
> inside a tactical network; His call has to be served before any others by
> the sip servers.
>
> Do you know anything about this?

I know that this requirement from some agencies exists since a long time.
But in my opinion it is more or less technical non-sense in a packet
switched world.

> i read something about "resource-priority" inside SIP header, but i don't
> know is SER can understand it.

To cite from RFC4412 section 4.5.1:

   As noted
   above, the processing of SIP requests itself is not preempted.  Thus,
   since proxies do not manage sessions, they do not perform preemption.

So SER does not need and can not support preemption. And internal priority
queueing is not supported by SER either.

Best regards
  Nils Ohlmeier