[Kamailio-Users] NAThelper and multipart SDP

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Wed Jun 24 23:17:00 CEST 2009

Hi Daniel,

>> Some observations we found:
>>
>> - rtpproxy seems to not take advantage of SMP
> it is well known, but you can run one or two instances per core and load
> balance from the nathelper module. I usually start 2 per cpu core.

I agree, but IMHO it's not that well known that you should do that.

However it was all about the question, if a kernel-based module would
perform better than a user-based daemon (in a "standard" setup).

There are performance metrics that speak for kernel-based media relays
(e.g. delay and jitter). It is a matter of what you expect from your
media relay to do beside rtp relay (like media forking [LI?], call
recording etc.).

Btw, we are preparing an OpenSource-Version of the mediaproxy-ng (taking
into account that LI is going to be a "must-have" requirement in SIP
deployments), but mediaproxy dispatcher changed its interface towards
mediaproxy2, so we're currently evaluating different approaches (going
with mediaproxy/dispatcher or rtpproxy protocol)... we'll keep you
updated...

Andreas