[Kamailio-Users] NAThelper and multipart SDP

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Jun 22 11:37:58 CEST 2009

Pascal Maugeri wrote:

> I tried to install mediaproxy but it looks tricky to install (many
> dependencies, including kernel specific configurations) :-(
> and I would like to stick to rtpproxy for performance reason.

There is also the often unacknowledged but nevertheless significant fact
that AG Projects' political alignment is much closer with the OpenSIPS
camp and that support for mediaproxy <-> Kamailio is, as far as I can
tell, a secondary concern at best for AG.  At the same time, the
Kamailio leadership appears to have much more perspective and
standardisation on rtpproxy, as well as whatever RTP forwarding module
is being lifted from IPTel.org for SIP-Router.

At the same time, it is not entirely clear to me that rtpproxy offers a
performance benefit.  Although it is small, lightweight and written in
C, it is subject to the constraints of userspace scheduling.  MediaProxy
2.0 uses API hooks into the kernel's IP forwarding subsystem, which
could potentially yield a performance benefit.  I don't know that any
attempts have been made to undertake a comparative study to determine this.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems