[Kamailio-Users] SIP-Router Project - how does this affect me?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 11:02:39 CEST 2009

Hello Alex, Geoffrey,

sip-router.org is used as common development portal for Kamailio
(OpenSER) and SIP Express Router (SER) right now. Next release of
Kamailio (OpenSER) is planned this autumn, like usually, after 6-8months
since the previous one. It should not affect users more than any other
major release did so far. That means:
- there might be config file incompatibilities
- lot of new features are added
- some features are marked obsolete or removed (due to better option for
same functionality, no maintenance, etc.)
- there will be tools to help with migration and documentation to guide it

Meanwhile, 1.5 will still be maintained with minor releases (as we
maintain two major versions back): - bug fixes, config file compatible
in the series.

So far, most of what you could do with Kamailio 1.5 is now possible with
devel version, default configuration file requires minor updates:
http://sip-router.org/wiki/migration/kamailio-3.0-config

In addition, there was development done to Kamailio modules (like lcr,
htable), new modules (memcached, mi_rpc), development to core - event
routes.

Besides these, next version will ship:
- overhauled transport layer (asynchronous tcp, reworked tls and sctp),
timers, dns handling, memory managers, locking system and tm module
- core enhancements: ability to change global parameters at runtime;
send route - call config file with outgoing sip request; rpc interface
for integration with third party applications
- several modules from SER (rtp relaying using kernel space for nat
traversal, auth identity)

These ones are very well tested and mature, being inherited from stable
version of SER.

There is a lot of noise on development list, as devel team doubled its
members. There are people thinking ahead, which is good from evolution
point of view, but I agree that may bring confusion sometime.

To summarize, the goal of next kamailio (openser) release is to bring
all goodies above at the smallest possible impact for users. I can
answer more punctual questions, if anyone has concerns regarding
specific aspects of the project. This mail is getting big and loses the
essence.

On 07/06/2009 02:52 AM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> That said, this page does speak to a number of the concerns, even if
> somewhat vaguely:
>
> http://sip-router.org/answers/
>

>>> I am not clear on what exactly the SIP-Router project is, nor how it
>>> will affect me?  Is Kamailio eventually being replaced with SIP-Router
>>> once all the functionalities have been rolled in?  Will my entire
>>> configuration script need to be reworked to eventually operate with
>>> this new platform?  Can anyone explain to me why this merge is
>>> happening so soon after Kamailio split with OpenSIPS?  All this
>>> turmoil feels very destructive to me.
>>>
>> This is a confusing topic, and could definitely use additional discussion
>> and official clarification.
>>
>> I have been made to understand that Kamailio will not be replaced by
>> sip-router.  It is rather that sip-router is a a "common core" that
>> integrates both Kamailio and sip-router modules, and that both projects
>> will share this common core going forward, but remain distinct.  The
>> analogy provided to me by Daniel was of Linux kernels vs. distributions.
>>
>> This seems fair enough, but it doesn't adequately explain who sip-router
>> is intended for and who Kamailio is intended for, and who should use which
>> and why and under what circumstances.  It does also seem that most of the
>> development and documentation energy is being concentrated into sip-router
>> integration, which leaves open the question of what the future of Kamailio
>> is.
>>
>> This definitely needs to be discussed more.  Thank you very much for
>> raising it, Geoffrey.
>>
>> --
>> Alex Balashov
>> Evariste Systems