[Kamailio-Users] Secure VoIP

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Feb 26 15:20:40 CET 2009

2009/2/26 Johansson Olle E <oej at edvina.net>:
> " This document provides clarifications and guidelines concerning the
> use of the SIPS URI scheme in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).
> It also makes normative changes to SIP."
> "1. Introduction
> The meaning and usage of the SIPS URI scheme and of TLS [RFC5246] is
> underspecified in SIP [RFC3261] and has been a source of confusion for
> implementers. This document provides clarifications and guidelines
> concerning the use of the SIPS URI scheme in the Session Initiation
> Protocol (SIP). It also makes normative changes to SIP (including both
> [RFC3261] and [RFC3608]."

This is very common in lots of RFC's: It seems that a draft must
contain some stuff about "security" and "privacy" in order to be
accepted as a new RFC.

For example, each new RFC has a vague section mentioning S/MIME:

  "In order to provide security the UA could use S/MIME"

Of course, S/MIME is not implemented *AT ALL*, but that seems not to
be important, the target is publishing a new RFC so S/MIME, SIPS,
IPSEC and TLS stuff is required to appear "somewhere" in the draft.

IETF guys should visit our planet someday.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>