[Kamailio-Users] Newbie questions

Antonio Goméz Soto antonio.gomez.soto at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 19:50:29 CET 2009

Op 28-12-09 18:18, Alex Balashov schreef:

>> I am not at all trying to compare asterisk to kamailio, just trying to
>> find
>> out what each is intended to do, in words and concepts that are
>> familiar to
>> me.
>
> In that case, I invite you to think of Kamailio as a "call router."
>
>> So this means, that if I put kamailio as a frontend to my current
>> asterisk
>> setup, and most calls run outside asterisk, that the operator will not be
>> able to for example break into an already existing conversation?
>
> If they run outside of Asterisk in both the signaling and media
> respects, that is correct.
>
>> Or pull two established channels away from each other and forcibly
>> redirect
>> them to a conference box?
>
> Correct.

Hm, now I am getting a bit worried. Scaling up my asterisk setup using
OpenSER will definitely not be as easy as I thought...

So what parts can be done by openser itself? Can it do:

- Attended transfer?
- Call Pickup? Directed?
- Barge In (no, you already said so)
- Call recording (mid call)
- Listening-in (Training)

Also, asterisk has long had serious problems with showing callerid/connected
party after attended transfer, blind forward or call pickup. Does OpenSER have
those problems too? Does it support P-Asserted-Id or Connected Party?

If a lot of calls need one of the above features, then using kamailio
does not scale up my asterisk-based PBX too much, does it?

Thanks for your answers.

Antonio