[Kamailio-Users] Transparent bridge mode

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 18:42:27 CET 2009

On 12/24/09 5:14 AM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> One of the impediments to using mediaproxy2 is that AG does not seem
> interested in maintaining or supporting long-term fundamental
> compatibility with Kamailio/SR, as an OpenSIPS partisan.  Perhaps I am
> mistaken on that, but that is the impression that I get.
>
> A good approach is likely to be possible soon in Kamailio 3.x/SR with
> the use of the kernel-bound RTP proxy that was built into SER,
>
> I do not exactly know how well it works at this point, but seems to me
> like a better approach if my perception of political difficulties with
> mediaproxy2 is accurate:
>
> http://www.kamailio.org/docs/modules/3.0.x/modules/iptrtpproxy.html
AFAIK iptrtpproxy is very stable and deployed on some public voip
services. Perhaps the authors can give more feedback (therefore I cc-ed
sr-dev). I plan to start using it with Kamailio 3.0.

Along with this, I want to bring in attention another alternative, that
opens the service to more media-oriented features (e.g., like in call
audio messages): using a light weight media server in back-to-back user
agent mode, like SEMS (of course it could be very-stripped-down config
of asterisk or freeswitch). Network architecture would be:

[caller] ====== [kamailio] ====== [sems] ====== [kamailio] ====== [callee]

The over-all performances are comparable (when no transcoding happens)
with today's cpu power.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
* http://www.asipto.com/