[Kamailio-Users] Can openser.cfg lead to pkg memory problem?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 11:00:22 CEST 2008

Hello,

On 09/23/08 10:31, mayamatakeshi wrote:
> Hello,
> we have openser 1.3.3 running in production (current rev.: 4943).
> For 3 times in 50 days we had to restart openser to correct pkg memory
> problem.
openser 1.3.3 was released 3 weeks ago, so I guess you were running
previous version before, but it happened again since you upgraded to
1.3.3, right?

> After some time logging messages like this:
> /openser.log:Aug 19 10:39:18 ipx022 /usr/local/sbin/openser[16991]:
> ERROR:core:new_credentials: no pkg memory left,
> openser will eventually run out of pkg memory and refuse all
> subsequent requests.
>
> We are trying to recreate this in our lab so that we can follow memory
> troubleshooting instructions at
> http://kamailio.net/dokuwiki/doku.php/troubleshooting:memory, but so
> far we were unable to do it even when generating millions of calls and
> registration transactions (we are using SIPp to generate normal call
> flows and even abnormal call flows detected when reading openser.log,
> like 'invalid cseq for aor', malformed SIP messages etc).
We can spot memory leaks even the "out of memory" message is not
printed. Just archive the logs (the most important is the shut down
time) and made them available for download so they can be investigated.

There could be two reasons:
- there is memory leak but happens in some cases that you don't
reproduce in lab, but they are in the production environment
- you get memory fragmentation

Let's see first the debug messages...

> And this is much more than in our production environment, with just
> 600 subscribers and about 2000 calls a day.
>
> The frequency the problem happens is increasing with the number of
> subscribers, so we are performing periodic restart of openser
> (actually, what we do is to switch over to the standby server). We
> already recompiled openser with pkg memory  pool size set to 4MB so
> that this will not have to be done frequently.
>
> Since we cannot recreate this in our lab, we suspect there is a
> situation happening in production that might not be having been
> properly handled by openser.cfg. So my question is: would it be
> possible to an overlooked detail in openser.cfg to cause pkg memory
> problem?
>

> In case someone could take a look at it, here's our cfg file:

[...]

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com