[Kamailio-Users] ERROR:mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error: Too many connections

Samael - samael.zgz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 16:31:41 CEST 2008

Hi,

We are deploying OpenSER in a large infrastructure together with Asterisk to
support thousands of current transactions.

We are using udp listener and mysql module in openser.

We had to increase the children parameter of the openser.cfg to 200 because
Openser couldn't handle the high amount of concurrent SIP REQUESTs from
ASTERISK (Not only INVITES, but also a lot of SIP OPTIONs), that means that
Openser couldn't handle more than 'children' REQUEST loosing the rest of the
concurrent REQUEST.

children=200

But then, the following error appeared in the openser:

ERROR:mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error: Too many connections

This is because the Standard parameter of mysql "max_connections" is set to
100.

In mysql CLI, we can see that every child process of openser has a mysql
connection. (see in Mysql> SHOW PROCESSLIST)

The recommended max_connections parameter is 500-1000 => we have a limit of
500-1000 concurrent SIP REQUEST to be processed by the openser.

Why there is a process for every child?

Why is neccesary a mysql connection for every child?
Can the openser have a pool of mysql connection to be used by thousands of
children?

Regards