[Kamailio-Users] NAT transversal without mediaproxy or rtpproxy

neill.wilkinson at btinternet.com neill.wilkinson at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 3 13:03:24 CEST 2008

François,

If your SIP UA (phone or softphone) is behind the NAT and doesn't support
STUN and if you want the SIP Proxy to “fix” the address information then you
need to use the functions exported by the NAT modules in Kamailio.

But as indicated in other posts if it is symmetric NAT you're dealing with
then will have to relay the Media to allow user-to-user conversations. If
all you are doing is allowing PSTN breakout to a gateway, then you can
rewrite() to the gateway address as the destination and t_relay() the
signalling to the gateway.

The code below I have quickly hacked together for the .cfg file and is not
complete or tested - but should give you some ideas.

To fix the contact address for registration use something like:

Route {
#=====SNIP========

if (method=="REGISTER") {

# Use digest authentication
   if (!www_authorize("domain.com", "subscriber")) {
       www_challenge("domain.com", "0");
       break;
   }; # endif (!www_authorize...)

# Check if client is behind NAT
   if (nat_uac_test("3")) {
      fix_nated_contact();
      save("location");
      force_rport();
      break;
      }
   else {
      save("location");
      break;
      }; # endif (nat_uac_test...)

}; # endif (method=="REGISTER")

#=====SNIP======

To fix the INVITE processing to forward to the gateway for PSTN breakout use
something like:

#=====SNIP=====
if (method == "INVITE") {
# Basically challenge all end-points that make calls
# before we ship the call to PSTN gateway
	if (!proxy_authorize("domain.com","subscriber"))  {
      	proxy_challenge("domain.com", "0");
            break;
      }; # endif (!proxy_ath..)

# Fixed NATed SDP and contact headers
      if (nat_uac_test("3")) {
          	log(1, "Inside NATed INVITE Processing\n");
            fix_nated_contact();
            fix_nated_sdp("3");
            t_on_reply("1");
		break;
      }# endif (nat_uac_test...)

}; # endif (method=="INVITE")

========= SNIP ===========
Called parties not in the location database and not from PSTN, forward to
PSTN gateway
You might want to consider the permissions module for the allow_trusted()
function to process inbound calls From the gateway.
(http://www.kamailio.net/docs/modules/1.4.x/permissions.html#id2507554)

#====== SNIP=============
onreply_route[1] {

                if (status =~ "(180)|(183)|2[0-9][0-9]") {
                        log(1, "Inside 180|183|200 Processing\n");
                        fix_nated_contact();
                        fix_nated_sdp("3");
                }; # endif (status...)
} # end onreply processing