[Kamailio-Users] [OpenSIPS-Users] Dimensioning a telephony system based on openser!

Kristian Kielhofner kkielhofner at star2star.com
Thu Oct 30 16:22:58 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Graham Wooden <graham at g-rock.net> wrote:
> Quoting Kristian Kielhofner <kkielhofner at star2star.com>:
>

>> Have you ever actually received a subpoena?  Are you a CLEC?  What
>> is your interconnection to the PSTN?
>
> I have not directly received one, but know of folks that have. No, I am not
> a CLEC (nor plan to ever be one). My connection to the PSTN is SIP directly
> to the provider's SONUS switch.

  +1 to never being a CLEC... :)

  I bet if you were to look at those that have received subpoenas the
commonality would be CLEC status + owning/operating the gateway.

>>  Isn't your bandwidth symmetric/full duplex?  How is 170kbps valid?
>
> Client -->[~85kbps] -->device proxying audio -->[~85kbps] -->PSTN
>
> If both of those legs come in and out on your same Internet provider leg,
> well, that call is going to cost you 170kbps.  Since I do run BGP across
> multiple providers, I do have a fair bit of asymmetric routing, where the
> client may come in on my Tier2 and then sholve the call back out on my
> Tier1.  Still adds up to 170kbps no matter how you slice it.  But again,
> since I don't run full-time audio proxing, I don't have to worry about the
> bandwidth being absorbed like this anymore.

  Yep, just making sure.

> Why tack on another N amout of router hops and ms to the call if you don't
> need to?

  Amen!

> In which case, all my customers are under 120ms (all broadband or higher and
> not all are local), pretty much all under 12 hops to me and to the PSTN.
>  Works fine for me and I pay a fair bit of money to have my solid internet
> connections ;-)

  If you are setting up media directly between your customers and your
providers media gateways, how do you know what path it takes (in
either direction)?

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org