[OpenSER-Users] Openser not processing requests at rate being sent to it

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Fri May 30 13:32:42 CEST 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008, Michael Young wrote:
> I replaced one of my OpenSER production boxes with a new server today. The
> old one was running x86_64 version of CentOS 5 (two dual core Opteron
> processors). The new one is running the i386 flavor of CentOS 5 (one quad
> core Xeon processor). I copied the configs from the old box to the new one.
> The boxes were built identically using the same process and applications.
>
> The new box is now matching the performance I was seeing on the 1.2.1 box
> of my provider. This new box is easily handling 50 new calls per second.
>
> So this indicates that something is wrong with the combination of Linux
> x86_64 and OpenSER 1.3.X.
>
> [..]
> Those of you who have done benchmarking lately -- were your benchmarks run
> on x86_64? I would be curious to know if others who have reported
> performance problems lately were on x86_64 (I thought at least one other
> report indicated they were using that build).

Hi Michael,

thank you for the update, this is in fact really interesting. My recent tests
were all done on x86. But i think, as 64 bit machines and distributions are
getting more and more common, that this is not a general problem with openSER
and 64 bit, but with the exact setup and distribution you use. Perhaps this
is also a driver issue, as you mentioned.

Cheers,

Henning