[Serusers] registration to ser server fails

Shrirang Yardi syardi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 02:05:57 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am a complete novice to VoIP and am trying to setup SER for the
first time...so some of my questions may sound naive.

I have installed ser-0.96 on x86 machine running fedora core 9.
I followed the getting started guide to start ser using the
hello-world.cfg config file.
The service starts succesfully:

Listening on
   udp: <ser_ip> [ser_ip]:5060
   tcp: <ser_ip> [ser_ip]:5060

where ser_ip is the IP address of the server.

I verified that the ser processes are actually running.

I then used a UA from ekiga.net to register with the server, but the
registration fails - reason: timeout.
I dont have any problems pinging the ser_ip.
What am I missing?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shri