[OpenSER-Users] stun

Aymeric Moizard jack at atosc.org
Tue Jun 10 18:02:48 CEST 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

> El Tuesday 10 June 2008 13:59:42 Aymeric Moizard escribió:
>> Stun can work even behind symmetric NAT if the stun server was
>> running on the same socket the SIP server is running... I hope
>> this feature will come soon!
>
> Sure? AFAIK a symmetric NAT not only depends on the destination IP but
> also on the port. So unless you have a STUN server listening in all the
> ports available for RTP proxing you don't know if STUN will work.

Right.
1-> I'm talking about SIP and contact management. (not about RTP). In this
case, the STUN server must be on the same socket as the SIP server. This
is planned in 'outbound' draft from ietf.

2-> As you said, for RTP there is no working easy solution. Only ICE
and TURN can help.

> Also, clients implementing STUN will refuse using STUN if they discover
> they are behind symmetric NAT. The STUN server needs 2 public IP's so
> probably each one will see a different public source port from the NAT
> router. In this case STUN will report "Symmetric NAT" so the client will
> not trust it.
>
> For example Twinkle or Ekiga don't use STUN if STUN discovers they are
> behind symmetric NAT.

There is no such standard: may be they are doing this way, but I don't...

> Mybe I'm forgotting something? :)

I don't think you are! Except this:

It is not possible to know wether a NAT will always behave as you have
detected. For example, short testing usually show that basic iptables
is port restricted cone nat while it turns into a symmetric 50% of the
time...

STUN is only a protocol to help: my *own* opinion is that it's not because
you detect a full cone nat that it will behave as a full cone nat for
the voip call...

tks,
Aymeric MOIZARD / ANTISIP
amsip - http://www.antisip.com