[OpenSER-Users] when openser starts - mi_fifo reports "pkg_malloc cannot allocate any more memory"

Christian Koch chri.koch.vier at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 18 16:43:13 CEST 2008

Hi Henning,

sorry for the delay. We had some busy days :-(

> Have you tried to use only a subset of the modules, and see if the error
> happens again? And if you ommit the mi_fifo module, do you get another error?

We tried without the mi_fifo and xlog modules, but the error still
occured. The log-msg was slightly different:

/usr/local/sbin/openser[21357]: CRITICAL:core:init_io_wait: could not
alloc fd hashtable (25008 bytes)

Then we removed mysql and suddenly openser worked fine. So we tried some
different scenarios for compiling the mysql module. What now works for
us is:

- Linking against the static mysqlclient library
(/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a)
- Additionally using the following libs: -lcrypt -lnsl -lssl -lcrypto
(those were suggested by the 'mysql_config' tool - which is not
available on our machine, but we got the output from running
mysql_config on another machine)

The "LIBS="-section of modules/mysql/Makefile now looks like that:

# libmysqlclient locations on RH/Suse, Solaris /OpenBSD, FreeBSD
# (Debian does the right thing and puts it in /usr/lib)
LIBS=/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a -L$(SYSBASE)/lib -L$(LOCALBASE)/lib
-L$(LOCALBASE)/lib/mysql \
-L$(LOCALBASE)/mysql/lib/mysql/ \
-L$(LOCALBASE)/mysql/lib \
-L$(SYSBASE)/lib64/mysql \
-lm -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lssl -lcrypto

(When trying this on a machine with mysql_config available don't forget
to remove the autodetection from the makefile!)

We suspect the mysqlclient installation on that machine to be a little
corrupt. Perhaps headers and libs don't belong to the same mysql
version. But we have no clue why it doesn't work with the dynamic
library but with the static one. Additionally it's interessting that the
problem depends on the number of openser childs (as stated in our first
mail, with only 2 childs everything works fine - even with the dynamic
lib). So perhaps using the static lib is only a workaround for a bug in
openser - we simply don't know. Nevertheless, we've got a working
openser installation now!!!!!

Thanks for your help and hints, which led us to the solution.

Regards,
Christian