[Serusers] Using SER with Microsoft OCS 2007

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Wed Jan 2 23:58:37 CET 2008

At 10:26 29/12/2007, Nolan Garrett wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I am interested in using SER to convert TCP SIP traffic from OCS to UDP
>SIP traffic that I can use with an external PSTN gateway provider.  Has
>anyone successfully managed this?  Basically, the configuration would
>look like
>
>OCS -> Mediation Server -> SER -> External Provider

Generally TCP-2-UDP translation works. That's of course not a voucher
for the chain of products to be free of troubles.

>Would the Mediation Server still need an external (non-NAT'd) IP?

What is a Mediation Server?

>It seems like it would, unless I use mediaproxy or RTPproxy, which would
>add an additional layer of complexity.
>
>I guess I am looking for some validation that what I am trying to do
>will work.  My next question, which I can't seem to find an answer to,
>is how I take the TCP SIP traffic from OCS, convert it to UDP SIP, and
>also authenticate with that external provider.  Any ideas on how to use
>t_relay_to_udp with authentication?

t_relay_to_udp is the proper way to force the transport protocol of your
choice.

I'm not sure what you mean by authentication though? Most PSTN-termination
-deployments I'm aware of are using a rather simplistic authentication by
source IP address. If you mean something like your domain having its
credentials (joe at foo.com with password "secret") and a proxy server
changing those into someone else's credentials (foo at bar.com with secret
"pstn"), an RFC3261 proxy server cannot provide you with that by definition.

-jiri