[OpenSER-Users] best response seems wrong.

Aymeric Moizard jack at atosc.org
Wed Jan 16 14:47:50 CET 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 January 2008 14:04:41 Aymeric Moizard wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm using openser1.1.1 and just found a problem. I wish to not
>> upgrade right now as I'm using serweb...
>>
>> I got an issue:
>> a UA is sending a PUBLISH, the server is relaying the PUBLISH
>> to 2 sip addresses which both answer 501. openser is not sending
>> 501 but instead is choosing to answer 407 as the best response...
>
> ¿Sure it is "407 Proxy Authentication Required"? isn't it "406 Not Acceptable"
> or "405 Method Not Allowed"?

Yes it is. I would not mind about 406 or 405, but 407 introduce a loop
here.

>> I think 501 is expected... Any idea where could be the problem so I can
>> look at the code and try to fix this!
>
> I think the behaviour is correct:
>
> 5XX reply means "server reply" and OpenSer is not falling at all so it
> shouldn't reply with a 5XX.

I don't feel you are right:

What about the case where 2 "servers" are sending back 501? In this
case, openser will modify it to become 407. That's a problem.

Just for information: from my knowledge, 5xx answers are UAS answers,
not dedicated to "proxy" -> they are dedicated to servers side which
might be endpoints (gateway...) from my point of view.

For example, there is no reason that an endpoint should not be able to
answer with "505 Version Not Supported" or "513 Message Too Large".

Any hint on where the code should be modified to get a different
behavior for this specific case?

tks,
Aymeric