[OpenSER-Users] RTP-Proxy

Fri Jan 11 09:03:58 CET 2008

Andreas Granig schrieb:
> Jerome,
>
> In my opinion it depends on the policy of the VoIP provider rather than
> on technical issues.
>
> Proper implementation of RFC 4028 of all involved UACs might render RTP
> analysis useless, if it's in line with the policy of the the VoIP
> provider to have some minutes of tolerance in their CDRs in case of
> missing BYEs (the tolerance can be controlled by the provider via the
> defined headers). If that is still unacceptable by a provider, there
> maybe should be some SIP/RTP-aware billing engines in place though.

Yes. If you do accounting for billing purpose, you should the accounting
where the costs happen and were you have reliable CDRs.

E.g. if you have you  own PSTN gateway I recommend doing accounting on
the gateway. The gateway always knows the SIP state and the RTP state.
Further, the gateway should have RTP timeout and/or Session Timer
support to detect dead sessions.

If do you not have your own PSTN gateway but use some PSTN gateway
provider then you either trust the gateway provider and use the CDRs of
the gateway provider or put a B2BUA between your SIP proxy and your
gateway provider (thus the B2BUA is somehow a gateway to the PSTN
provider) and do accounting on the B2BUA.

Doing accounting on the sIP proxy and RTP proxy works too if the gateway
  can detect dead sessions - neverthless the CDRs wont be as accurate as
the CDRs from the gateway.

Regarding accounting of SIP-to-SIP calls - if you do not bill them then
you can use accounting on the SIP proxy for statistical reasons. if you
want to bill them, the same as above applies.

regards
Klaus