[Serusers] SIP Express Bundle. Step 1.

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Feb 26 04:17:26 CET 2008

Okay, It's time to get things going on the SIP Express Bundle. I'm
stepping in to take the reins as project manager on this one so we can
get things rolling.

First please take a look at the project page:
http://www.iptel.org/bundle/project

Step 1 here, I'd like to verify a headcount of people working on this
project as of now. This doesn't mean people can't join up later, and it
certainly doesn't mean that I'm going to expect you to put more time
into this than you can commit, but we need to know where we stand.

Currently, on the project list, we have:

    *
      Jai: testing and installation work
    *
      ram: testing
    *
      SIP: testing (and now project management)
    *
      Jiri: debian, oob
    *
      Mike: testing and documentation
    *
      Stefan: SEMS

Are the people listed here still available to do these particular tasks?
Has anyone else volunteered time/resources on this project that hasn't
been listed here? If so, shoot me an email, and I'll add you to the
list. We need a people inventory so we know what roles we're missing.

For instance, I've heard a few people mention that they'd be willing to
donate a server to the cause so we have somewhere to test things upon. I
don't have those people listed, but that's certainly an area we're going
to need. Also, we've had varying reports of which direction we're going
-- ISO or Virtual Machine.  For now, I think we should concentrate on an
ISO as that's going to be the most attractive to people for building a
ready-to-go hardware appliance, and it will probably be a little less of
a headache for creating a drop-in installation.  However, I also think a
virtual machine should be on the list in the future, and once we get an
ISO ready, creating a virtual machine from that configuration should be
relatively straightforward.

However, on the list of people, I don't see anyone down for scripting an
install -- a kickstart disc or what have you. That's another area we're
lacking. If anyone has experience in that area, shoot me an email and
I'll add you to the list.

We need to focus. For this reason, we'll start small and work from
there. Do NOT expect this first SER bundle to have every feature you
could imagine in it, and don't get discouraged if your favourite feature
is missing. As the project grows, we'll most certainly be adding
capabilities and allowing a tailored install. But for now, the goal
should be to get things running and working first in a simple format and
then add on from there.

Having a bundle like this is perhaps the biggest step we can take toward
bringing SER to the masses and finally breaking down some of those
barriers that have kept people out of the project.

I'm looking forward to working with all of you on this project!

Neil