[Serusers] consultant needed for small project

Damon Estep damon at soho-systems.com
Thu Feb 21 17:47:27 CET 2008

Here is a brief description of what I need, please send comments to
damon at soho-systems.com

We are looking for someone to give us a "quick start" with SER.

We have a "meshed" asterisk implementation with multiple servers used as
registration and feature servers. Everything is 100% asterisk now.

We have an asterisk server as a front end DID router that acts as a back
to back user agent between the upstream carrier and feature server of
the end user. When a call comes in from upstream the front end box does
a database lookup (MySQL 5) to determine which feature server the user
is expected to be registered on and bridges the call to the feature
server.  If the user is not registered voicemail or forwarding is
handled by the feature server , not front end.

No outbound calls are handled by the front end box, and no
authentication other than trusted IP address is used by the upstream
carriers. There is no need for registration knowledge on the front end
box.

While this is working extremely well as is, we recognize the scalability
advantages that could be obtained with a true SIP proxy in the front.

Here is what we would like SER to do;

1.       Accept invites from two or more upstream carriers, trusted by
IP address and not registered or authenticated in any other way

2.       Do a database query on the MySQL 5 database to determine the IP
address (or SIP URI) of the registration server the user is expected to
be on.

3.       Proxy the SIP signaling between the upstream carrier and the
appropriate registration server.

4.       Record the call record and result in a MySQL database table

5.       Remain in the SIP signal path, but stay out of the RTP path.

6.       Return a 404 not found when there is no database match for the
DID in the database.

Initial Questions;

Can SER look into a custom database table for routing information on
each call?

Can SER act as a stateful SIP proxy without the end user registering on
it?

Other information;

Call volume is about 25,000 inbound calls per day.

We run 100% of our servers on Linux HA clusters of 2 nodes, we do not
need assistance with this portion of the setup as we are very well
versed in HA clustering, but it is important to know because during a
failover registration state would be lost and therefore static routing
based on DB queries is preferred.

We have extensive Asterisk experience, no Asterisk work is required.

Base OS is CentOS 4.6

SER .9.x with the MySQL module has already been loaded, but not
configured

Root SSH access can be provided

There is NO NAT involved, the upstream, the SER box, and all asterisk
feature server sue real IP addresses. Any NAT would be between the UA
and the feature server, and the feature server acts as a B2BUA and
handles NAT traversal. Calls would never be proxied to the UA directly,
only to the feature servers.

Please let me know you rate for this type of work, a rough time estimate
to do only the configuration of SER (no installing required), your
availability, and your past experience with similar implementation. This
is for an TSP service thousands of end users, it is a mission critical
implementation, so EXPERTS ONLY please.

After successful testing plan on an hour or two to walk us through the
config and explain the routing logic.

We are in the GMT -7 mountain time zone, and English is our only spoken
language. We would prefer somebody who could be available during this
implementation during our regular business hours of 8AM to 6PM MST.

We can pay via paypal if desired.

Thanks!