[OpenSER-Users] LCR and Load Balancing, Routing

Knud Müller k.mueller at portrix.net
Fri Feb 29 12:55:56 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm pretty familiar with the asterisk, but have only little
understanding of SER/OpenSER. I read through some cookbooks and found
some things that might help, but I just want to ensure that I'm on the
right track before investing a lot of time into it. I have an asterisk
running that terminates currently against one (SIP) carrier. We are
noticing that the carrier has an increasing rate of short outtages and
want a more redundant solution. Currently we have two more carriers and
have to switch manually which was fine for the testing period. Now I'd
like to route automatically. The routing decision should be based on a
least cost basis, for each number the cheapest route shall be used. But
if a route is not working properly, mostly these are 5XX Messages, the
second cheapest route shall be used. Can I do this failover aspect with
OpenSER/LCR too?
Is the LCR Module the right point to start, as I have not seen failover
strategies?
There are some questions left which are more detailed - if a carrier
shows to fail often, I just want a few calls routed to that carrier, to
determine if its working again.
Is there any chance to include network/packet information into the
decision too, like roundtrip times, jitter etc?

Hopefully someone can help me find the best solution...

regards,

Knud