[OpenSER-Users] Status code 408 returned by OpenSER when fr_timer expires; should it be 504?

Anatoly Pidruchny apidruchny at newxt.com
Sat Feb 23 02:58:26 CET 2008

Hello everybody,

I noticed that OpenSER replies with status code "408 Request Timeout"
when the fr_timer (tm module) expires. I am wondering if the response
code "504 Server Timeout" would be more appropriate in this case. The
status code 408 means that "the server could not produce a response,
e.g., a user location, within the time indicated in the Expires
request-header field. The client MAY repeat the request without
modifications at any later time."; and the status code 504 means "the
server did not receive a timely response from an external server it
accessed in attempting to process the request." It sounds to me that the
description of the status code 504 better describes what happens in
OpenSER when the fr_timer expires. Any comments? I am using OpenSER 1.2.x.

Best regards,
Anatoly Pidruchny.