[OpenSER-Users] newbie questions

Doug McLetchie dougmcletchieatwork at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 21:45:49 CET 2008

Thanks for the reply Alex!  I really appreciate it.

I've been reading manuals & sip specs all day, and I think that I found my answer, and it really is an easy one.  here's my own answer to my question, can you let me know if this sounds right?

When a message is send from a user agent (on the public internet) to my gatweway & then to the proxy (on a private network), the gateway will add a via on to the message.  that's how open SER (or any other proxy) can send a response message back to user agent on the public internet via the gateway.

It's really the same thing as setting up a registrar, or any other kind of proxy/user agent that's going to communicate via a SBC of any kind.  So, it that right?  is that how the SIP via header is used?

I understand the part about registrations.  We're not currently doing that in our network, we're using all static IP addressing.  I plan on using registrations in the future.  the gateway that I'm using can act as a session border controller, but it can also act as a class 4/5 switch (TDM or IP).  so it's some serious overkill for what I want to do here.  :o)

Thanks again for the reply,

--Doug