[Serusers] Redirect server without "305 Use Proxy"?

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Sun Dec 14 11:31:55 CET 2008

Hello,

I am trying to setup a redirect proxy that pre-parses SIP before it gets
to the telco.  It can do things like lookup speeddial-codes and map them
to either a phone number or a SIP-address.

My first thought was to use "305 Use Proxy" to tell phones to move on to
the proxy of the telco.  But 305 is discouraged on iptel.org as it is not
properly standardised.

1. Am I correct in assuming that it is best to use "302 Moved Temporarily"?

Using this, I would need to set the Contact: field with address(es) of
new servers to appraoch.

2. What is the designated method to set Contact: in preparation of "302"?

Since there may be more than one SIP-server at the provider, it is good
to be able to create multiple Contact: headers.  Behind the @ could be
server names and ports (from SRV lookup) or IP numbers (from A lookup).

3. How to make DNS lookups for proxy servers with Ser?

4. How to fold multiple DNS lookup results onto multiple Contact: headers?

I wonder if this is an existing facility in Ser, or if I should extend Ser
for doing this?

I hope someone on this list can help me move forward.

Thanks!
 -Rick