[Serusers] Deadly embrace with rtpproxy - Is it necessary? Can it be turned off?

Frank Durda IV frank.durda at hypercube-llc.com
Thu Dec 4 18:22:35 CET 2008

Andres wrote:

> I do not think this readme reflects the code as it works today. At
> least that is my observation with version 1.0.2. As soon as the
> rtpproxy receives audio from one end, it will start relaying to the
> other end (to the port advertised in the SDP). Once it receives audio
> from that end it will update the session port and continue relaying the
> audio to the updated port. I know you have run tests that show
> otherwise, so the only thing I can suggest is to check the actual
> rtpproxy version you are running.

I am not entirely sure which version I have got.  The tar ball
extracted a directory with the name rtpproxy-1.1,
the Makefile says:
PACKAGE_NAME = rtpproxy
PACKAGE_STRING = rtpproxy 1.1.beta.20071218
PACKAGE_TARNAME = rtpproxy
PACKAGE_VERSION = 1.1.beta.20071218
and there are other random CVS version tags like
* $Id: main.c,v 1.62 2008/02/04 08:38:05 sobomax Exp $

but no obvious "THIS IS VERSION X" message, such
as part of the usage() output.

Based on this I would suspect I have a newer version than
what you have.

> A great way to troubleshoot the issue is to run rtpproxy in the
> foreground and track the messages that show the port being updated:
> (they start with the advertised SDP ports)
> pre-filling caller's address with 192.116.246.234:41000
> pre-filling callee's address with 192.116.246.235:20000
>
> Then when it sees the actual packets coming in from a different source
> port, it updates the address and we see it in the log like:
> callee's address filled in: 192.116.246.235:1024
>
> You should track first of all that the 'pre-filling' is done per SDP
> Advertised Ports. Then when your end starts sending RTP, you should see
> the 'caller's address filled' message and audio should start flowing
> from that end to the advertised SDP port of the other end. Finally when
> the other end sends Audio, you will see the last 'callee's address
> filled message'.

I will see if I can run it this way on a test system.  Thanks!