[Serusers] How can I keep SER from changing reply Response Code from 503 to 500?

Frank Durda IV frank.durda at hypercube-llc.com
Wed Dec 3 20:28:43 CET 2008

Just for closure on this item, the fix used was:

*** t_reply.c.STOCK     Tue Nov 14 18:11:06 2006
--- t_reply.c   Tue Oct 21 16:38:25 2008
***************
*** 1315,1320 ****
--- 1315,1323 ----
                        }
                } else {
                        relayed_code=relayed_msg->REPLY_STATUS;
+ #ifdef RFCMUST503
+ /*    This bit of nonsense changes the RFC handling from SHOULD to MUST,
+       or in our case, from "no problem" to "broken"*/
                        if (relayed_code==503){
                                /* replace a final 503 with a 500:
                                 * generate a "FAKE" reply and a new
to_tag (for easier
***************
*** 1331,1337 ****
                                buf=build_res_buf_from_sip_req(500,
error_text(relayed_code),

to_tag, t->uas.request, &res_len, &bm);
                                relayed_code=500;
!                       }else if (tm_aggregate_auth &&
                                                (relayed_code==401 ||
relayed_code==407) &&
                                                (auth_reply_count(t,
p_msg)>1)){
                                /* aggregate 401 & 407 www & proxy
authenticate headers in
--- 1334,1342 ----
                                buf=build_res_buf_from_sip_req(500,
error_text(relayed_code),

to_tag, t->uas.request, &res_len, &bm);
                                relayed_code=500;
!                       }else
! #endif /*RFCMUST503*/
!                       if (tm_aggregate_auth &&
                                                (relayed_code==401 ||
relayed_code==407) &&
                                                (auth_reply_count(t,
p_msg)>1)){
                                /* aggregate 401 & 407 ww

I won't dwell on any religious issues raised here, because
the fact of the matter is I now have a dozen telcos using
everything from Sonus to asterisk boxes and all of them
want it to work this way, eg for 503 to pass unaltered.
Follow the money, and the money wants it to work this way.

Thanks for the assistance of those who pointed me to the
right neighborhood to alter.

P. S. The idea of doing this via ser.cfg and t_on_failure by
just ignoring those set_final_timer messages, was a bad one.
Something leaks memory, so that could not be used for more
than a few hours.