[Serusers] Deadly embrace with rtpproxy - Is it necessary? Can it be turned off?

Frank Durda IV frank.durda at hypercube-llc.com
Thu Aug 21 22:23:03 CEST 2008

I'm running into a problem with rtpproxy on this point,
quoting from the README:

- - - - - - - - - - -
- after the session has been created, the proxy listens on the port it has
  allocated for that session and waits for receiving at least one UDP
  packet from each of two parties participating in the call. Once such
  packet is received, the proxy fills one of two ip:port structures
  associated with each call with source ip:port of that packet. When both
  structures are filled in, the proxy starts relaying UDP packets between
  parties;
- - - - - - - - - - -

However, a number of clients frequently fail to emit any audio
when originating a call until they hear something from the
TDM gateway, such as ring-back or the called party answering.
So although rtpproxy is receiving a stream of audio, such as
a voice mail menu robot, the calling party can't hear any of
it unless they happen to make some noise or randomly and blindly
press a DTMF key.   This seems to be made worse on links with
silence suppression, so there is no background noise to
trigger two-way audio.   This is being encountered between Class 4
carriers, so we don't have the option to get someone to
adjust their phone/PBX settings or have them breathe heavier.

Is there a setting adjustment to get rtpproxy to just pass
the RTP packets from directed calling and called sources
even if one party hasn't happened to make noise yet?

I personally don't understand why this requirement for
seeing audio from both sides before starting the flow in
either direction if audio starts coming in even exists.
It seems to have no benefit but is bound to cause this
deadly embrace problem in many situations that may be
beyond the control of the owners of the equipment
passing traffic along to the site where rtpproxy is in
use.

Suggestions?  Fix?  I have looked at the latest snapshot
of rtpproxy and the README is unchanged since 1.1 so
apparently this behavior is still the same.

Thanks in advance!