[Kamailio-Users] project status and my decisions

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 15:14:22 CEST 2008

Hello all,

following the last events everybody perhaps wonders what is going on. I
was surprised by the way everything happens and I am not sure yet how
this resulted.

Probably a bit of time is needed to clarify relations between developers
themselves and community as well. There is not any official statement
that a developer quited the support for this project, but I guess the
trust between some is at lowest level possible.

It is clear that we cannot say anything about a board right now that
manages the project. From board discussions summary you may see that
discussions were conducted to create a legal entity around the project,
a non profit foundation. This might be hard to achieve in this status,
but as a personal decision, I am not going in any other management group
unless there is a legal framework backing up. Human relations prove to
be pretty unpredictable and not conforming with initial statements.

What is sure now - openser 1.3.x and 1.4.x will be maintained properly
and I am volunteering to take care but hope others will join. It is
really a good achievement of a sip server. Decision about future
development will be based on community and developers feedback for this
project. I am not going to promise anything by myself as I admit one
person (to be more specific: myself) cannot take care of the entire code
base -- I am just realistic, not willing to sell dreams. I think the
people that still believe in the project can come with suggestions and
alternatives of future development.

What I can tell for sure, I am not going to join a fork of the original
openser project. If something happened to make developers not working
together, solution to solve nicely could have been found, in the worst,
maybe just by splitting teams, but keeping old domain together just to
show the new alternatives.

"Why not joining a fork in this manner?"> Because I was one of the
founders of this one and involved in development and management at top
level. If I failed to build something I started, I had all the tools in
my hands, why just creating something similar saying the old is crap but
this new one will be the best? What is the difference? Why I didn't do
it first time? Would I be able to fool someone? Does leaving my ship in
secrecy on back door will bring more trust on me? I doubt and perhaps
you, too.

I am certainly assuming share of the failure in managing this project. I
was there, in management, period. There is no single person responsible
for mis-management, but it comes just easy for some to blame the others.
But I am really confident we built outstanding sip server, all of us
contributed with code, documentation, testing to an application that
routes million and millions of minutes per day. There were accuses of
bad things about project, I will argument in a separate message, this
will get too long.

So, I am asking:
- how do you see a proper management structure for the future
- feedback about future involvement, suggestions and alternative for
going on

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com