[Kamailio-Users] OpenSIPS vs. Kamailio

Darren Sessions dmsessions at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 22:51:42 CEST 2008

I have to say, this is probably one of the harder decisions I've had
to make in a very long time. I have to say the OpenSER / SER decision
was much easier.

While I obviously don't know all the details of what's gone on between
Bogdan and Henning or whomever else, I just really have a hard time
swallowing Hennings explanation of what happened and his, what seems
to be, emotional reaction.

  More so than that, it seems like there were quite a few decisions
made by the board without immediately letting the community know about
it, even quite a while after these decisions were made.

While I do not dispute Hennings technical ability, It is my opinion
that his disrespectful attitude, his "shotgun" conduct, and his
obvious lack of management ability is not befitting of someone on
Kamailio project's board regardless of who is at fault here.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed that Daniel hasn't said more as well.
I met him at the fall VON in 2005 and he was indeed very pleasant and
I enjoyed our conversation.

All I've heard is things like 'not wanting to discuss any further',
etc. - but the fact remains that wether it's a comfortable topic or
not,  there are quite a few of us that are using OpenSER in a
commercial environment and these are things that we NEED to know in
order to make an informed decision.

In the end, all I know is now there are two projects and I have to
choose which one. Based on what I've read in the change-logs, my
direct experience with Bogden in a technical support role directly
related to SER at a previous business - my company will be using
OpenSIPS going forward.

I have a very high regard for virtually all of the Kamailio / OpenSER
group, and again, I am disappointed and absolutely hate that I've been
forced into a position to have to make a decision like this.

I will continue to be active on both sets of lists for the foreseeable
future to monitor progress.

Having said all that, I can't tell you how much I hope things can
still be resolved and we can all have a unified project. I would
implore the Kamailio board to do whatever it takes to bring Bogdan
back into the group for the sake of the community.

Hopefully something like that won't be just a dream.

Thanks,

  - Darren

dmsessions at gmail.com
http://www.darrensessions.com