[Serusers] SER Location table Reg. Prob

Neil Fusillo sip at infinideas.com
Wed Sep 26 13:26:26 CEST 2007

Arun,

We were having similar issues because of a bug in the new X-Lite 3 build
41150. It seems to ignore system settings and re-registers every 10-20
seconds with a new rinstance tag (which appears as a new registration).
We'd often have users with several thousand hundred (unusable) entries
in the location table before they began to expire.

We added a couple of modparams (somewhat arbitrarily):

modparam("registrar", "max_contacts", 15)
modparam("registrar", "desc_time_order", 1)

Basically, this limits the number of contacts per user to 15 (15 seems a
reasonable number of simultaneous registrations per user) and sorts the
order of the location entries putting a preference on the most recent
registration as the most valid point of contact.

Unfortunately, while this helped keep our location table from
overflowing, it did NOT help users of X-Lite 3 b41150. All that happens
is that the client continues to attempt to register, and you'll see a
bunch of errors in the log from where SER was unable to add entries to
the location table (as it had reached the limit of 15). On the client
side, once those errors started occurring, the users received an error
that X-Lite was unable to contact the server.

We've been assured a fix in the next build, but releasing new X-Lite
builds is not Counterpath's top priority, and it's been quite some time.

Check for bizarre, aberrant client behaviour that might be causing your
location table to fill up with unusable entries before they've been
given time to expire.

N.