[Serusers] Can't make a single call. Help me please.

Mike Trest - Personal Mike at Trest.COM
Thu Sep 6 16:25:35 CEST 2007

As a long time VoIP and Internet engineer, we have all seen various
port-blocking activities at different levels.  These are almost always
done to attain economic or political goals. (Remember PANAMA and SINGAPORE).
Seldom is it ever for security reasons or for conservation of  resources.

It is the first question I ask whenever I start to assist a gateway operator
who is testing via a cable operator.
Therefore, it is understandable that we would be groping in the dark without
that bit of bank ground information.

Perhaps we should add a guideline note to our FAQ which recommends
placing a sniffer/etherial between the originating sip device and the
IP network
as well as an ethereal/tcpdump on the SER end.

..mike..

At 01:34 AM 9/3/2007, Harmeet Singh wrote:
>Dear Greg
>
>I tried ekiga, brujula, and couple other services on my internet
>yesterday. None worked. Same problem - REGISTER is OK but can't make
>calls. Then after searching google again, I found that my ISP (Rogers
>Cable) is dropping/blocking the INVITE messages. That's why I was able
>to register and not make any calls. Then I found on the internet about
>a workaround, which is to not use 5060 port. So, I just tried that. To
>my surprise, Any port other than 5060 just works! It beats me really.
>
>Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.
>
>Harmeet

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000771-1, 09/01/2007
Tested on: 9/6/2007 10:25:41 AM