[OpenSER-Users] Unregister a user when not responding to SIP pings

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at in.ilimit.es
Thu Sep 20 12:25:41 CEST 2007

El Thursday 20 September 2007 12:01:12 Juha Heinanen escribió:
> i don't think that pinging contacts in order to remove unresponding ones
> is in general a good idea.  sip register request has been designed to
> expire if not refreshed in time.  that together with limiting expires
> time to something reasonable should suffice.

Humm, but what about pua_usrloc?

Imagine you set your presence "offline". Using short register periods when you
generate a new REGISTER pua_usrloc will generate a PUBLISH "online" and your
watchers will see you again as online.

Yes, a solution would be to decrease the PUBLISH period in client to be
shorter that REGISTER period, but short periods of PUBLISH are not really
neccesary in "normal" cases.

Finally all this solutions would generate innecesary traffic, while a simple
unregister from OpenSer if the user doesnt' respond to ping would be
more "cheap".

> i personally would not be happy my operator would remove my registration
> when my train goes into a tunnel at the as operator's proxy is trying to
> ping  me.

But in that case your SIP client would register again, wouldn't it?
If you are in a escenary with easy connection lost then is user task to set
the REGISTER period shorter.

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo