[OpenSER-Users] Installing OpenSER in multiprocessor machine

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Thu Sep 13 09:00:44 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 12 September 2007, John Barry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if there are any especial considerations when
> compiling, configuring, and running OpenSER v1.2.2 in a multiprocessor
> machine.
> [..]
> I am also using MySQL DB for authentication in the same machine.

Hello John,

you should increase the number of openser children to fully utilize the
additional processing power available. The debian packages are already build
for an SMP environment, if you compile by yourself set the variable "ISSMP"
in Makefile.defs to yes. This will ensure that the right locking primites
will be used, otherwise the server don't need to make any assumptions about
the processor count.

Likewise tune (increase) the private and shared memory settings
(config.h/ "-m" parameter) to use all the memory available, keep in mind that
mysql also need memory for good performance.

Cheers,

Henning