[Serusers] Another alternative for handling RTP packets

Martin Hoffmann hn at nvnc.de
Tue Nov 20 21:52:18 CET 2007

Carlos Loarca wrote:

> I have heard about STUN servers with ICE support but never seen it
> working

You are not the only one, according to the report from last SIPit. Give
it some time.

> If I dont want to force the audio or video to come to my server, what
> kind of solution is the most recommendable?

There is scenarios where you don't have any choice. ICE includes TURN
which basically is a endpoint controlled media proxy. In other cases you
can get away with the old version of STUN from RFC 3489. Like ICE, this
needs to be done by your endpoints but most available endpoints support
this. Trouble is, though, that there is no standard way of fixing those
cases where STUN alone does not help and you need a media proxy.

Which means that if you have control over the NAT, for instance because
you know all the NAT boxes involved, you can use STUN if it works for
you. But right now the only half-way reliable way to deal with all NAT
devices out there is unfortunately nathelper and (rtp/media)proxy.

Regards,
Martin