[OpenSER-Users] Forking Madness

Christian Schlatter cs at unc.edu
Thu Nov 8 15:52:46 CET 2007

Chris Heiser wrote:
> Yeah, I've been taking a hard look at CPL.  I did some fun fancy things
> with permanent registrations in openser, and avps, but that's all so
> terribly messy.  I think a final solution will be something like:
>
> Add some permanent registrations to openser to handle some parallel fork
> cases.  Everything else could be handled by CPL.
>
> The other nice thing about CPL is I can explicitly upload cpl files for
> specific users and not do a ton of lookups for avps, etc...

You can avoid most of the "mess" if you don't do sequential forwarding,
which is what we are doing at UNC. Our analysis has shown that you can
cover 95% of all "follow-me" user needs with parallel forking.

The upcoming 1.3 version of openser will include a module called H350
which allows you to store simple call preferences in LDAP
(http://www.openser.org/docs/modules/1.3.x/h350.html#AEN186) which
offers better performance than CPL and still gives you all the routing
script flexibility. Not messy at all, isn't it ;-)

The only situation where you really need sequential forking is for call
center applications, and for that you also need some sort of IVR/MoH in
order to inform the caller about the long ringing time. So I think it is
best to implement this with a b2bua type SIP PBX like asterisk instead
of trying to implement it the pure p2p SIP way.

just my 2c

/Christian