[OpenSER-Users] Forking Madness

Chris Heiser cheiser at config.name
Fri Nov 2 19:27:48 CET 2007

So I've been all over the place looking at various examples, threads, issues,
and solutions to all sorts of forking scenarios.  What I haven't been able to
find is a solution to my odd corner case.  Let me explain the forking scenario:

Call comes in for user A:
   - Use avp_db_load to find that user A wants to parallel fork to 123 and 456
   - Call to 123 fails because there's no registration
   - Call to 456 times out

   == At this point we serial fork to the next step which might hbe
     - Just call my cell

What's unclear to me is how to actually achieve this logic.  I mean, getting
the initial parallel fork is quite simple using avp_pushto.

What's unclear is how to setup the failure route to know that you can ignore a
failure in any of the forks until the last fork as failed, and then it's time
to move on.

Something like, "are there other branches pending?" would be a nice check to
determine if the failure route should just drop or if it should append a branch
(or two) for the next serial fork.

Comments?  Ideas?  Thoughts?  Am I totally insane?  Should I be using a
specific module for this?

--Chris Heiser