[Serusers] SER 0.9.6 and MySQL 5.0 issues revisited

Kostas Marneris K.Marneris at otenet.gr
Wed May 9 17:32:41 CEST 2007

Greetings to the list,

In a previous thread
(http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2006-April/027961.html)
SER and mysql 5.0 issues were discussed. The main idea was that if MySQL was
restarted, SER should be able to do auto-reconnect to the database server.
According to the thread (Jan Janak), the latest SER version
(0.9.6) should contain a fix to the problem.

However, we recently upgraded MySQL from version 4.1 to 5.0 as part of an upgade
of Debian Sarge to Etch in our servers. We had no problems with SER and MySQL 4.1.
We recompiled SER and linked mysql module with the MySQL 5 client library
(libmysqlclient.so.15). The auto-reconnect problem seems to persist.

We start MySQL, then SER and after a few SIP clients get registered,
we restart the MySQL server (using Debian init scripts).
We then see the following  messages in ser's log:
./ser[24006]: submit_query(): MySQL server has gone away
./ser[24006]: db_insert: Error while submitting query
./ser[24006]: db_insert_ucontact(): Error while inserting contact
./ser[24006]: insert_ucontact(): Error while inserting in database

Our SER config contains the following lines:

fifo_db_url="mysql://ser:XXXXXX@localhost/ser"

# --------------------------------------------------------------------
# Modules Section
# --------------------------------------------------------------------
loadmodule "/opt/ser-0.9.6/lib/ser/modules/mysql.so"
loadmodule "/opt/ser-0.9.6/lib/ser/modules/usrloc.so"
loadmodule "/opt/ser-0.9.6/lib/ser/modules/uri_db.so"
modparam("usrloc", "db_url", "mysql://ser:XXXXXX@localhost/ser")
modparam("uri_db", "db_url", "mysql://ser:XXXXXX@localhost/ser")

Our MySQL version is 5.0.32 (standard Debian etch packages) and we
have compiled ourselves the latest stable SER version (0.9.6).

Any comments are highly welcome, since we are thinking of deploying a
large scale SER setup.

thanks,
Kostas