[Users] Abyss XMLRPC server CRLF problem

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Fri May 4 11:36:42 CEST 2007

this discussion on abyss xmlrpc server reminds me about a problem on its
handling of CRLF, which needs to be included in a string when
applications use t_uac_dlg or send_publish mi commands to send sip
requests to openser.

if abyss receives CRLF in a string, it drops CR and only LF is left.  if
abyss server receives CRCRLF, it results in LFLF.  abyss does retain CR
in a string if it receives if coded as
.  however, none of xmlrpc
clients that i have tried (python or php) allows me to send out on the
wire
 because they (according to xmlrpc spec) convert & to &
and i get on the wire
, which abyss does not convert to CR.

the problem results from abyss author's own interpretation of xmlrpc
specification:

http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/doc/libxmlrpc.html#xmlrpc_value

  XML-RPC strings deserve a little more detailed explanation because of
  some nonsense in the definition of them in the XML-RPC
  specification. The spec says a string's value is arbitrary 8 bit bytes,
  but also says that it is part of an XML document. An XML document is
  composed of XML characters, and the spec doesn't mention any way of
  encoding those arbitrary bytes into XML characters. It appears that the
  author was confused about how XML works.

as result, i have found no way (without hacking xmlrpc client libraries)
to get CRLF via abyss server to openser.

does anybody have a suggestion?

-- juha