[OpenSER-Users] Re: [Users] out of memory - please help

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Fri Jun 22 12:43:56 CEST 2007

Hi George,

Papadopoulos Georgios wrote:
> Hi Bogdan,
>
> The server has been running for about 18 hours without any "out of
> memory" messages. Usually these appeared after a few hours. I think it
> is fixed, but I will keep you posted if it reappears. Thanks a lot!

That is super! I will commit the patch on SVN.
> I guess the same fix needs to go in subst_uri() and maybe also add a
> check if(result->s!=0) ?

well, in subst_uri() there is no need because the result->s chunk is
transferred to msg->new_uri (and freed later from there); in
subst_user(), the result->s chunk was copied by the SET_USER_T action,
so we need to free it also.
> Why did this only appear on the first receiver child? I would expect
> that all children receive an equal amount of traffic so they should all
> run out of memory more or less at the same time. Except if when a
> message is received, Openser finds the first available child and does
> this by trying child 1,2,3... Is this the case?

this scheduling is done by kernel and there is no guarantee of a uniform
distribution in case of low traffic.
> Last (related?) question: There is a thread that the first receiver
> child starts, what is its purpose?

you mean a process (there are no threads in openser). it might be a
listener of mi_fifo.

Regards,
Bogdan