[OpenSER-Users] Re: [Users] unixodbc: use_escape_common

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Thu Jun 21 11:00:16 CEST 2007

On Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2007, Papadopoulos Georgios wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am using
> modparam("unixodbc", "use_escape_common", 1)
> and the result is that if I have a string like he'llo (single quote
> between the e and l), it becomes he\'llo which is not working in sql.
> The result should be he''llo (two single quotes between e and l). The
> reason is that unixodbc uses the core function escape_common(). I think
> that unixodbc whould have two parameters like
> modparam("unixodbc", "use_escape_character", "'")
> modparam("unixodbc", "escaped_characters", "'\%^")
> use_escape_character would be null by default and if it is not null it
> would be the character to use for escaping.
> escaped_characters would be a list of characters that should be escaped
> by the character defined above.
>
> I have patched unixodbc to use its own escape function instead, but it
> would be nice if this was a configurable option that others could use. I
> could try to implement this if there is an interest. Please let me know
> your thoughts.

Hello George,

sorry for the late reply. Yes, improvements of the unixodbc escape functions
would be nice. Do you add another function for escaping to unixodbc, or do
you use some provided functions from the odbc driver?

In the past we had the problem that different odbc drivers need different
escape signs. So the mechanism you suggested above (have options for the
escaping) would provide a solution for this problem.

Cheers,

Henning