[OpenSER-Users] Re: [Users] presence

Dave Waiting david at crg.ee.uct.ac.za
Thu Jun 21 10:54:38 CEST 2007

Hi Kumar

Unfortunately I don't have Eyebeam, so I'm not sure if it even supports
XCAP, although from what I've heard it does. Maybe someone else can give
you some guidance as to what settings need to be changed.

I think there is some confusion as to how XCAP works.

XCAP uses HTTP to retrieve and send documents to an XCAP server. This
may or may not be located on the same machine as your SIP Presence
server. As far as I know OpenSER only deals with SIP messages and
therefore does not support the XCAP protocol. That's why you need XCAP-lite.

The confusing part is that the OpenSER presence module can look at XML
pres-rules documents that were obtained by the XCAP server and make
presence decisions based on these documents. But OpenSER does not deal
with the XCAP protocol itself, only the resulting XML documents.

XCAP-lite uses Apache to listen for incoming HTTP GET and PUT requests.
Your client (eyebeam) must send the XML pres-rules documents using HTTP
to the XCAP server (probably listening on port 80) and not to the SIP
presence server (probably listening on port 5060).

So the openser.cfg file should not be consulted for XCAP requests, only
for SIP PUBLISH and SUBSCRIBE presence requests. It looks to me like
eyebeam is trying to set the pres-rules using SIP not XCAP and that is
why it's not recognizing the event type. (Your openser.cfg file looks
fine by the way.)

Regards

Dave