[Users] OpenSER - 2 years old and ...

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Mon Jun 18 23:39:49 CEST 2007

... four days.

One more year passed since first celebration of the OpenSER project. It
was a real full year, the project itself was growing, growing and going
on. We can list now a set of important milestones achieved during this
period:
- two major releases: 1.1.0 in July 2006 and 1.2.0 in March 2007
- yet another two minor releases: 1.1.1 in January 2007 and 1.2.1 in May
2007
- first OpenSER summit: November 2007, Berlin, Germany
- first OpenSER development course, June 2007, Paris
- active participation to VoIP and Open Source events around the world:
VoN Berlin 2006, FOSDEM Bruxelles 2007, VoN San Jose 2007, ROSDEV 2007,
eLiberatica 2007, LinuxTag 2007, VoN Europe 2007

The community is now more consistent and active in contributions. There
are 21 registered developers, a lot of new modules and patches submitted
to the tracker, making the number of the contributors to exceed 170 and
the number of modules about 70.

OpenSER has gone beyond a SIP router, entering the Application Server
level via the weSIP Java SIP Servlet AS and Perl Programming Interface,
both contributions from new developers at that time, plus the Presence
Server. Getting more and more robust, OpenSER has been adopted by major
players in VoIP arena, Cisco using it in Linksys One and Truphone
launching the first FMC service, which along with many others (see
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/OpenSER-gets-CISCOs-vote-of-confidence/)
give more value to the project.

I consider that the year ended few days ago was very innovative in terms
of features and performances. For the new year, we hope to be able to
deliver reliable solutions to market needs and make OpenSER lead the
creation of new VoIP services. The second edition of the OpenSER summit
will be organized in Autumn, more events to interact with community
members will be organized.

Here is a list of links for some news of last year:
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/OpenSER-Summit-2006/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/OpenSER-1.2.0---Perfomance-Tests/
http://www.openser.org/mos/blogsection/News/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/OpenSER-1.2.1-Released/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/Meeting-OpenSER%2C-May-June-2007/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/OpenSER-at-VoN-Spring-2007/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/OpenSER-Configuration-Generator-for-v1.2.0/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/OpenSER-v1.2.0-Released/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/OpenSER-gets-CISCOs-vote-of-confidence/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/DNS-based-failover/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/New-management-interface/
http://www.openser.org/mos/view/News/NewsItem/OpenSER-v1.1.0-Released/

We like to thank to all developers, contributors and community members
for their help during the entire process of coding, testing, documenting
and supporting the project. Looking forward to the third year.