[Users] Best practice for DNS failover using OpenSER?

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Tue Jan 16 15:17:48 CET 2007

At 14:59 16/01/2007, Greg Fausak wrote:
>Jiri,
>
>Thanks for the pointer!  I think I'll have to give this a look.

Hi Greg,

with pleasure. Just keep in mind that having robustness in there takes
couple of other steps. Particularly IP blacklisting to avoid attempts
to send to the DNS-conveyed destinations, which are unavailable and ...

>We are having specific problems with the DNS resolver on failover
>(when one
>DNS resolver is not reachable, the next is queried, and openser is
>not acting
>predictably when this happens).  It is as if the tm module is not
>properly threaded.  Like when one thread gets stuck waiting for
>a response from DNS resolver, another thread picks up a retry
>SIP message and doesn't know about the retry in process!

... building the ser script in a way that retransmissions are absorbed
(kind of having "shock absorber" in place)

-jiri