[Users] problem forwarding ACKs when using IPv6

Emil Ivov emcho at sip-communicator.org
Fri Jan 5 17:44:45 CET 2007

Hello all,

We are currently performing a number of interoperability tests between
OpenSER and SIP Communicator over IPv6.

The good news is that we have successfully established IPv6 calls
between two SIP Communicator instances registered on our local OpenSER
installation (version 1.1.0-7 on Debian testing).

There is however something weird we'd appreciate any ideas on what might
be causing it:

When running OpenSER with a default configuration, any ACKs that the
caller tries to proxy through OpenSER don't get forwarded to the callee.
Changing syn_branch to "no" (we saw somewhere that this might be
related) didn't have any effect. I am attaching a log snippet that seems
to be corresponding to the ACK processing.

In a desperate attempt to resolve the issue we added the following to
our route{} clause:

if (method == "ACK")
{
     forward("[2001:660:4701:f009:213:ceff:fea7:a88c]:5060");
     exit;
}

where [2001:660:4701:f009:213:ceff:fea7:a88c] is the IPv6 address of the
callee.

This worked but it is obviously not (even close to) a "viable" solution.

So our question is, what would be the best way to make OpenSER forward
ACKs that a caller is trying to send to a callee?

Thanks
Emil