[Serusers] Which locking mechanism is useful for usrloc in production environment?

Olaf Bergmann Olaf.Bergmann at freenet-ag.de
Fri Feb 2 10:08:21 CET 2007

[no crosspost to serdev as I think this is a users' question]

Vaclav Kubart wrote:

> it probably highly depends on your OS and kernel.

True.

We had some trouble using posix semaphores on ia32 with a Debian
linux and kernel 2.6.18, while the very same seemed to work on an
ia64 architecture (not sure which kernel version, but might have
been a 2.6.18 as well).

To me,it seems that the performance penalty from fast locking is
very small, so this method also qualifies for use in most production
environments---depending on the size of the user base, of course.

Regards,
Olaf