[Users] DNS caching

Christian Schlatter cs at unc.edu
Mon Feb 12 20:22:31 CET 2007

Now that OpenSER supports NAPTR/SRV lookups I'd like to add DNS caching
to our SIP servers in order to decrease call setup delays and DNS server
load introduced by DNS queries.

I was wondering if others on this list have experience with running
OpenSER together with a DNS cache solution like nscd or dnsmasq. Initial
tests with nscd were not successful since somehow the OpenSER processes
do not go through the ncsd caching, whereas e.g. ping does. I'm also not
sure if ncsd or dnsmasq do support NAPTR and SRV type DNS queries.

I'd be glad to hear any recommendations on this topic,

Christian