[Serusers] SIP Express Bundle - let's get started

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Sun Dec 9 14:00:07 CET 2007

Greger V. Teigre wrote:
> Hi guys, thanks a bunch for lots of input and I really appreciate the
> willingness to contribute.
> Thus, I have created a "project page":
> http://www.iptel.org/sip_express_bundle_sip_service_in_15_minutes
>
> I thought we could gather the current perspective on that page and
> document our decisions as we go. It will hopefully be useful in our
> process, as well as documentation for us and others later.
>
> I have noted the following volunteers:
> Jai: testing and installation work
> ram: testing
> SIP: tesing
> Jiri: anyting?
> Mike: testing and documentation
>
> Maybe we should set up a small mailing list for coordination emails,
> but for now, let's use serusers (where I think all the comments came).
> (I copy the other lists on this post, so the other lists know that the
> discussion will move to serusers).
>
> Out of the comments, I read CentOS and vmware as the most wanted
> combination. I have documented the pros and cons on the project page,
> and suggest that we do some testing before we decide. I also tried out
> rpath (which I have no previous experience with). My observations are
> documented on the same page.
>
> Thus, I have started setting up a minimal CentOS virtual appliance
> found in vmware's appliance directory on an esx server. I will send
> details on accessing it to the volunteers once it is up and running
> (decompressing, unpacking, and building a non-split disk takes an
> awful lot of time :-( ).
>
> Ok, further comments, ideas, etc, please post to serusers or edit/add
> comments to the project page (requires an iptel.org account).  I see
> the following steps with documentation as we go (steps also found on
> the project page):
> 1. Testing and specification of what we want to accomplish
> 2. Environment and OS setup to ensure that we easily can release new
> versions
> 3. Installation and configuration of the software. I assume this step
> also will involve development of some tools we need, as well as
> adaptation of existing stuff
> 4. Testing and user documentation
> 5. Packaging and deployment
>
> Let's get going!
> g-)

Something I noted about the project.  While I am all for a virtual image
for testing purposes and getting things up and running while we're
creating this project, I think the ultimate goal should be something
like an ISO that's ready to go on a server. There are many of us in the
systems world who have not bought into the whole virtualisation
marketing gimmick when it comes to system deployment, and for the casual
home user who's less comfortable with using VMs for an actual production
system (which is, to be honest, a lot of people), it might be easier in
the long term to get everything the way we want it and then make an ISO
that's ready to drop onto whatever machine with all the components we need.

BUT... first things first. :) We need a list of everything that's going
to be in this bundle.

My assumptions are (at the basic level):

-SER 2.0 (in whatever state it's in atm)
-SERWeb
-RTPProxy
-SEMS

Secondary (but no less important) items that are a must-have:
-MySQL (I'm voting for 5 series here, but that will require my patch for
the mysql code in SER 2.0)
-Apache (req'd for SERweb)
-SIPsak
-ngrep (invaluable for debugging as well as learning)

Optional:
-mediaproxy
-freeradius
-radiusclient (for those who want to mesh SER with an existing radius
infrastructure perhaps)

Thoughts?

N.