[Serusers] presence server 2 presence server

Olaf Bergmann Olaf.Bergmann at freenet-ag.de
Thu Aug 16 14:44:06 CEST 2007

cherami at gmx.de wrote:
>  Hi Olaf,
>
> I understand that a client must/can subscribe to an other client to
> get notifications of his status.
>
> But can a presence server do something like that?
> Can a presence server subscribe to other clients?

2 x yes.

> The Idea is, that I have in my organisation Clients, that only needs
> the presence information of other clients in other organisations. So I
> want to cache/mirror in my server the presence information ot the
> clients ot the other organisation, so that I do need to connect the
> server ot the partners for each request from the clients of my
> organisation.

Sure, this is possible. For example, content networks for WWWW
traffic work this way, and there is no reason why not doing the same
for presence subscriptions (well, there are some pitfalls due to the
 persistent nature of presence subscriptions). Look into the
SER-based presence gatewaying scenarios to learn how presence
subscriptions can be relayed from a local domain to some other
server and vice versa. There is no magic in it but just putting
things together.[1]

  [1] As I said before, I do not recommend doing this because of
      the message overhead it generates. If you have both servers
      under control, you could invent a more efficient protocol for
      passing inter-domain presence information.

Best regards,
Olaf