[Serusers] Help: I can't hear audio although I receive the RTP packets

Victor Huertas Garcia vhuertas at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 20 09:35:03 CEST 2007

Firt of all, thank you very much for your answer.

I tell you the rarest. With NAT enabled, I call a normal endpoint (SIP
softphone) in located in a PC and it works fine. Audio is heared in both
endpoints. But when I call to PSTN through a VoIP GW it happens what I told
in the last e-mail. I can see how the RTP packets trespasses the NAT and
reach the enpoint behind the NAT (exactly the same as with the normal
endpoint) but no audio is heard. What's more, no ICMPs are generated by the
PC so I interprehet that the destination RTP port is correct. I have tried
it with three different endpoints (Cisco SIP phone, and two different
softphones, one of both is Eyebeam) with the same result.

That is what is misleading me the most... Why does it work if I call to a
normal endpoint? If it is NAT fault, it should happen the same as when I
call to PSTN.

Obviously that NAT is somehow responsible for this problem but I can't
figure out what's going on. I have compared with Ethereal every sigle packet
for calls to normal endpoint and VoIP GW and all the translations in SDP are
preformed identically.

I just wonder if there has been cases in which the RTP reaches and endpoint
(with no ICMPs at all, remember) and no sound is heared.

Thanks in advance.

Victor